The Civic Centre building was completed in 1932. The first foundation stones were laid by Rt Hon Sir William Phene Neal Lord mayor of London and Alderman John Arthur Rogers who was Mayor at the time on 16 May 1931, exactly 75 years to the date of the Mayor making ceremony of 16 May 2006.
At the time a number of Town Halls in nearby towns were built to very similar designs by the same architect and a similar example to the Poole Borough Civic Centre can be seen in Southampton.
On the outside of the building just below the original cast iron and lead guttering there are 24 superb stone sculptured reliefs depicting historical events from the earliest times to the 20th century and the commemoration of the 'Poole Gunners' of the first World War in 1915.
Page last updated: 21 January 2019