All Hackney carriage and private hire drivers must be licensed. The application process can take up to 6 weeks. All forms must be correctly completed or they will be returned to the applicant.
Application packs containing all necessary forms can be obtained from this page.
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, you are welcome to visit the Passenger Transport office and we will be happy to help you.
If you have any questions, please contact us on 01202 262202.
- be over 21 years of age
- have held a DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 12 months
- have passed the Driving Standards Agency Hackney Carriage/Private Hire driving assessment within the previous 12 months
- have passed the Borough of Poole safeguarding, disability and dementia awareness course
- be a ‘fit and proper’ person
Applicants must complete and return:
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, please contact our taxi licensing officer.
Applicants must supply:
- current passport or original birth certificate
- DVLA driving licence (including the paper counterpart)
- National Insurance number (NI card or P45/P60)
- two proofs of current address eg. recent utility bill or bank statement
Photocopies of documents will not be acceptable.
Applicants must undergo a knowledge test. This is a verbal test lasting approximately one hour. It consists of twenty questions designed to test your knowledge of roads and locations within the Borough of Poole.
You can view the full list of fees in the taxi licensing fees document.
- application fee of £95
- licence fee of £71 per annum, 3 year licence £182
- Borough of Poole safeguarding, disability and dementia awareness course £45 - book online
- medical certificate (payable to your doctor)
- practical driving assessment
Page last updated: 08 February 2019