Come and visit new to you, a shop full of affordable reclaimed items. Stock changes weekly and includes furniture, crockery, ornaments, toys, sporting equipment and bric a brac.
The purpose of the project is to:
- support disadvantaged local people who are in need of essential items required to set up a home and for day to day living
- be a self-funding scheme
- sell items in a shop available for all members of the public to visit
- improve environmental performance by diverting material from landfill and increasing reuse
Most Saturdays from 9am to 1pm.
We will be closed on Saturday 20 April 2019 to give our volunteers a break over the Easter weekend. We will reopen on Saturday 27 April.
The store is located at:
- new to you, Borough of Poole Cabot Lane Depot, Cabot Lane, BH17 7BX (behind IMO car wash and next to the Dolphin Indoor Bowls Club)
Donating your items
If you have any items you think are suitable for reuse please either consider taking it to a charity or bring them to the Nuffield HWRC located at 92-98 Nuffield Road, BH17 0RS or Millhams Community Recycling Centre, Millhams Lane, BH11 9LQ.
Please advise a member of staff that your item is suitable for reuse.
Please note we can take items from Poole residents and Dorset County Council permit holders only at Nuffield HWRC and from Bournemouth residents only at Millhams Community Recycling Centre.
We ask that items are not taken directly to the new to you shop unless specifically requested.
Reusing unwanted items
Reuse is often confused with recycling however reuse is typically more beneficial as it prolongs the life of a particular item. Therefore reuse can be the most efficient use of existing resources.
Some of the advantages of reusing products include:
- keeps goods and materials out of the waste stream
- creates less air and water pollution than making a new item or recycling
- results in less hazardous waste
- saves money in purchases and disposal costs
- creates an affordable supply of goods that are often of excellent quality
Many items brought to the tip (Household Waste Recycling Centre) are suitable for reuse. Previously some items brought to the site were sent to landfill or taken by a contractor as bric-a-brac and sold at auction.
Volunteer with us
We need you to help at new to you! Joining our volunteer team is a great way to gain new skills, get experience, meet new people, and contribute to a project that changes lives within our local community.
We can offer you:
- practical experience of working in a retail environment, and the opportunity to develop visual merchandising and customer service skills, and waste management knowledge
- a reference if seeking other employment
- support from a supervisor and other experienced volunteers
We are looking for people who are:
- able to work independently and as part of a team
- available to work during the week to receive deliveries and prepare for the weekend
- available to work in the shop on Saturdays
We welcome all volunteers, from young people just starting out in the world of work to those with a lifetime’s wisdom to share.
If you’re interested in helping out and volunteering your time, please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where the money goes
This scheme needs to be self-funding, so firstly money raised will cover our costs.
Money over and above running costs will go towards provision of key council services for local people in need and reducing waste disposal costs.
Page last updated: 14 March 2019