Information about the garden waste service

Green bin collection dates

You can check when your bin day is on our recycling, refuse and garden waste collection dates page.

Do not dispose of garden waste in your black bin.

Getting your green bin and sticker

If you register between 1 October and 31 December and are new to the garden waste collection service, we will deliver your bin in time for the start of the service in February.

For new and existing customers we will send you an information pack containing a bin sticker, a collection calendar, and a copy of the terms and conditions in mid January. If you registered between 1 January and 31 August, we will deliver your bin and information pack within 2 weeks of your registration date.

Please make sure you place your 2019 collection sticker on your bin so that we know to empty it.

Garden waste collections start date

The 2019 service starts on Monday 11 February 2019. The last collection is on Friday 13 December 2019.

Please make sure you always put the bin out by 6am on your collection day. We will empty your bin fortnightly on the same day.

We often make collections in the evening and may continue until 11pm.

Green bin size

The bins are 240 litres, with approximate dimensions: 1063mm high, 720mm wide, 560mm deep.

Additional green bins

If you have already registered and wish to have an additional bin(s), please call us on 01202 261700.

Missing or damaged bin

If your bin is missing or badly damaged, you can call us on 01202 261700 to ask for a replacement.

If it's missing, please check that the bin is not nearby or at a neighbours house.

If it's damaged, please tell us if the damage is to the lid, wheels or main structure of the bin.

Assisted collections

If you can't put your bin out for collection due to being disabled or physically unable, you can ask us for an assisted collection. You should only ask if there is no one else at the property who can help. Phone us on 01202 261700 to ask for the service.

Paying for multiple properties

If you wish to pay for multiple properties, eg. as a landlord or on behalf of other people as well as yourself, please call us on 01202 261700 and we will help you through the process. 

Moving house

If you are moving within Poole, please take your bin with you to your new property. Please update your address using the online form. Residents moving to Bournemouth, Christchurch or outside the area from Poole should leave their bin at the property. 

Residents moving to Bournemouth can find more information about the garden waste service on the website and residents moving to Christchurch can find more information on the Dorset Council website. This will be in place until BCP Council will be providing one uniform garden waste collection service across the area.

Moving into a house which already has a green bin

If the green bin has a valid sticker on it, then this bin has been paid for by the previous owners and you can continue using the service for the rest of the year.

If the bin does not have a valid sticker on it, you will need to register for the service.

Cancelling your garden waste service

If you no longer require the garden waste service you will need to let us know.

Please telephone us on 01202 261700.

There are no refunds or part refunds for the cancellation of the service part way through the year.

What happens to garden waste

Once collected, the garden waste becomes the property of BCP Council. It is then sent to Eco Sustainable Solutions Ltd in Hurn where it is turned into compost which is used for agriculture, landscaping and gardens. 

Page last updated: 04 September 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.