The Constitution (including Financial Regulations) reflects the ethos, aims and objectives of the Council. It complements the corporate aims and objectives and the key aims of the Community Strategy.
The purpose of the Constitution is to:
- enable the Council to provide clear Leadership to the community in partnership with citizens, businesses and other organisations
- support the active involvement of citizens in the process of local authority decision-making
- help Councillors represent their constituents more effectively
- enable decisions to be taken efficiently and effectively
- create a powerful and effective means of holding decision-makers to public account
- ensure that no one will review or scrutinise a decision in which they were directly involved
- ensure that those responsible for decision making are clearly identifiable to local people and that they explain the reasons for decisions
- provide a means of improving the delivery of services to the local community.