[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once

When someone dies, there are a lot of things that need to be sorted out, at a time when you least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services. By providing this service we hope it will make things a little easier for you as you can just Tell Us Once and we can inform the other organisations for you. (organisations are listed below)

How the service can help you?

When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Once this is done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information. We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions so they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.

Back to top

What happens to the information?

We can inform the following organisations on your behalf:

  • Department for Work and Pensions

  • The Pension, Disability and Carers Service

  • Jobcentre Plus

  • HM Revenue & Customs

  • Child Benefit

  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit

  • Personal Taxation

  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office

These organisations can also be told if you ask us to do so: 

  • Council Housing

  • Council Tax

  • Libraries

  • Blue Badges

  • Adult Services

  • Children’s Services

  • Collection of payment for council services

  • Electoral services

  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Back to top

Information you will need to use this service

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can bring along with you the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth

  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving

  • Their death certificate

  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number

  • Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin

  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner

  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain permission from the person llisted as the Next of Kin if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Back to top

Next of Kin

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and/or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.

Back to top

How we will treat the information you give us to use any of these services

The information you give will be treated repectfully, securely and confidentially. The organisations we contact will use the information to update benefits, credits or help to start up services. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Back to top

Contact us


01202 633744

01202 633745

The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street Poole
BH15 1NF