[Skip to content]

Your Borough Of Poole

Personal Licence

What is a personal licence

If an individual wants to supply alcohol or authorise the sale of alcohol within a licensed premises they must have a personal licence. The personal licence will enable the individual to carry out the sale of alcohol in a licensed premises anywhere within England and Wales. A personal licence will be issued to the person by the local authority in which that person resides. Therefore if you reside within the Borough of Poole and sell alcohol or authorise the sale of alcohol in Poole or any other part of the country you will need to apply to us for a licence. Once issued the licence will run for 10 years after which it can be renewed .

Back to top


An application for the grant or renewal of a personal licence shall be accompanied by two photographs of the applicant which shall be:-

  • Taken against a light background so that the applicant’ features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
  • 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres
  • full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his religious belief, without a head covering
  • on photographic paper, and
  • one of which is endorsed with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.  

Back to top

Accredited Qualifications for a new licence

The DCMS control the list of accredited Personal Licence qualification providers and a list of course providers can be found on their website.

Please contact the providers direct, for information on courses, costs and local availability. 

Back to top 

CRB check

An application for the grant or renewal of a personal licence shall be accompanied by a criminal conviction certificate or a criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Intelligence Service.

You can apply online for a "Basic Disclosure" with Disclosure Scotland and there is a fee payable to them. The date on this disclosure must be within 1 month of the date of your licence application for it to be considered as valid. 

Back to top

Disclosure of Convictions

If you have been convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence you must provide details for each conviction, this must include the name and location of the convicting court, details of the offence of which you were convicted and the sentence imposed. 

Back to top

How Do I Apply

Use the following link to apply for a new personal licence

Use the following link to renew a personal licence

 Back to top

Further Information

If you require further information about The Licensing Act you can contact us by e-mail or telephone us and ask to speak to a licensing officer. Alternatively information is available on the Department for Culture Media and Sport Website.

Back to top

Related pages


There are no downloads associated with this page.

Contact us


01202 261700

Text Relay
18001 01202 261700

Environmental and Consumer Protection
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF